Vegan is originally determined as a diet free from dairy products, meat, fish, and eggs. So, why do other people practice this kind of lifestyle? What are the health benefits of this way of eating? Is vegan a balanced diet? Well, let’s discover all, from the health benefits of a plant-based diet to the best vegan breakfast recipes, but before we jump to vegan breakfast recipes, let me share with you some ideas about this diet!
Why do other people practice this kind of lifestyle? Vegans go for this lifestyle because of many reasons like preventing the number of animal suffering. And vegans want to protect the environment. The diet of Vegan excludes all foods created by or acquired from animals such as meat, fish, eggs, honey, and dairy products. You can define veganism as a diet based completely on plants. Several vegans go beyond diet to remove animal exploitation from their overall lifestyle.
Health Benefits Of A Vegan Diet
Many individuals are embracing a plant-based or vegan diet, every day. There are lots of health benefits in practicing this lifestyle, only if it’s done right.
Research has proved that this diet can help you with the following:
- Promote weight loss
- Reduce the risk of heart disease
- Lower the chances of getting certain types of cancer
- Helps you manage diabetes
Is Vegan A Balanced Diet?
If you’re planning to go with this diet, the key is you have to understand and you have to plan what makes up a healthy, balanced vegan diet, so that you can obtain all the nutrients that your body requires. You could lose the necessary nutrients if you don’t plan your diet. These nutrients such as iron, vitamin B12, calcium, selenium, and iodine are very important to our body.
If you’re practicing a vegan diet, you can get these nutrients from:
Iron – vegan food that is rich in iron are chickpeas, lentils, beans, cashew nuts, tofu, ground linseed, chia seeds, hemp seeds, kale, dried figs and apricots, quinoa, raisins, and other fortified breakfast cereals.
Vitamin B12 – you can get vitamin B12 from this vegan food like chlorella, nutritional yeast, marmite + yeast spreads, almond milk and fortified soy, fortified cereals, tempeh, and nori seaweed.
Calcium – vegan foods that are high in calcium are beans, peas, soy foods, lentils, nuts, grains, leafy greens, and veggies, fruits contain a good amount of calcium, broccoli, kale, and bok choy.
Selenium – good sources of selenium are green and brown lentils, mushrooms, pasta, wholemeal bread, basmati, brown rice, and cashew nuts.
Iodine – though iodine is in fish and dairy products, and iodine may be low in a plant-based diet, but with a sprinkle of seaweed or iodized salt, you could avoid cow’s milk and fish.
The Best Vegan Breakfast Recipes
So, we’re here! Make sure to make a copy of all you’re favorite Vegan recipes we gathered just for you! So don’t hesitate to try it. Aside from the fact that it’s a nutritious food, it is also very flavorful.
3 Vegan High Protein Savory Breakfast Ideas
Overnight Oats Recipe
- 1/2 cup whole rolled oats
- 1/2 cup almond milk or light coconut milk, more as needed
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
- Desired toppings from above
- In a small jar, combine the oats, almond or coconut milk, maple syrup, and salt. Stir and chill overnight.
- In the morning, scoop the oats into a bowl, and stir in more almond or coconut milk, if desired, for consistency.
- Top with desired toppings.
- Alternatively, for a grab-and-go breakfast, you can assemble the overnight oats in jars with the toppings the night before.
Candied Orange Peel Granola
- 3 lb. oranges
- 3 c. sugar
- 1 (12-oz.) bag granola
- 3 oz. dark chocolate, chopped
- plain yogurt
- clementine segments
- Cut peel from 3 lb. (4 to 5) navel oranges; slice into 1/4-inch strips. Boil in water for 1 min. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins. Drain and repeat 2 more times.
- Boil 2 cups each of sugar and water until sugar is dissolved. Add peel and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beginning to turn translucent, about 1 hour; drain.
- Let peel stand, on a wire rack, until dry but still tacky, about 4 hours. Toss with 1 cup sugar and let stand, on a wire rack, until completely dry, 1 day.
- Add 3/4 cup chopped peel to 1 (12-oz.) bag almond granola and 3 oz. chopped dark chocolate. Serve with plain yogurt and clementine segments.
Vegan Banana Pancakes
- 1 large ripe banana (around 150g)
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- ¼ tsp fine salt
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for cooking
- 120g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 150ml oat, almond milk, or soya milk
- syrup, sliced banana, and berries, to serve (optional)
- Mash the banana in a mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar, salt, and oil. Add the flour and baking powder and mix thoroughly. Make a well in the center and gradually whisk in the milk. The batter should be a thick, droppable consistency.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add 2 tbsp of the batter to make American-style pancakes. You will be able to make about 4-5 at a time. Fry on each side for 2-3 mins until golden. Serve with syrup, sliced banana, and berries, if you like.
Related: Banana Bread French Toast
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 16 ounces tempeh, cut into about 50 (1/4″-thick) strips
- Whisk oil, maple syrup, soy sauce, paprika, salt, cayenne, and black pepper in a shallow dish. Add tempeh and gently toss to coat. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or up to 4.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange tempeh in a single layer and bake, tossing and basting with marinade after 10 minutes, until tempeh is crispy, 30–33 minutes.
- Do Ahead: Tempeh bacon can be made 5 days ahead; wrap tightly and chill.
Quick Breakfast Quinoa
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium apple, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, chopped
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup raisins or chopped, pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy, hemp, or almond milk
- Place quinoa and water in a saucepan, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is done and all the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir for 2–3 minutes.
Green Apple Smoothie
- 1 large green apple
- 4 Medjool dates
- 3 cups spinach
- 8 ice cubes
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Core the apple and cut it into chunks (do not peel). Remove the pits from the dates.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend. Add lemon juice and blend for a few seconds again. Serve immediately.
13 Healthy Vegan Recipes For Weight Loss
Before changing a diet to another, always make sure that you truly understand and planning it on how that specific diet works for you. And don’t be afraid to try this way of eating. All the recipes mentioned above are the best vegan breakfast recipes that I’m sure you’ll love to try, easy and quick!