When it comes to empanadas vs calzones, there are some clear differences.
Sure, both empanadas and calzones are folded pockets of dough filled with deliciousness.
But there are some key features that set these two dishes apart.
Can you spot them?
Let’s take a closer look at this interesting topic to see what sets them apart.
Read more: Egg Substitute For Scrambled Eggs
What are empanadas?
Empanadas are a type of pastry that is popular in many Spanish-speaking countries.
They are made by folding a piece of dough over a filling and then baking or frying it.
Empanadas can be made with a variety of different fillings, including meats, cheeses, vegetables, and fruits.
What are calzones?
Calzones are similar to empanadas, but they are usually larger and have a more pizza-like shape.
They are also made with a dough that is slightly different from the dough used for empanadas.
Calzones are typically baked rather than fried.
Empanadas vs calzones – The main differences
In terms of origins, empanadas are from Spanish-speaking countries, while calzones are from Italy.
That means you will find different variations of these dishes in different parts of the world.
Empanadas are typically smaller and have a more triangular shape, while calzones are larger and more round.
When it comes to the main ingredients, empanadas usually have a meat filling, while calzones often have a cheese filling.
However, there are many variations of both dishes, so this isn’t always the case.
Empanadas are typically fried, while calzones are baked.
This means it’s unlikely you will find a fried calzone.
Empanadas and calzones can taste quite different depending on the filling and the cooking method.
Empanadas that are fried tend to have a crunchier texture, while baked empanadas are softer.
Calzones also have a different taste depending on the filling, but they are usually doughy and chewy.
Empanadas and calzones can both be quite cheap to make at home.
However, if you buy them from a restaurant, empanadas are usually cheaper than calzones.
Empanadas and calzones can have different nutritional values depending on the ingredients used.
However, in general, empanadas are higher in calories and fat than calzones.
Calories per serving
One serving of empanadas usually contains around 350-400 calories, while one serving of calzones contains around 250-300 calories.
Fat per serving
One serving of empanadas usually contains around 20-25 grams of fat, while one serving of calzones usually contains around 8-10 grams of fat.
Empanadas are more popular than calzones in Spanish-speaking countries.
In Italy, calzones are more popular than empanadas.
On a global scale, I’d say empanadas are the more popular dishes.
Empanadas are usually served as a snack or appetizer, while calzones are usually served as a main dish.
Empanadas are typically made with wheat flour, while calzones are typically made with white flour.
Empanadas are typically filled with meats, cheeses, vegetables, or fruits, while calzones are typically filled with cheese and/or pepperoni.
What are their similarities?
Despite the differences, empanadas and calzones do share some similarities.
- They are both made with dough that is folded over a filling.
- They are both baked or fried.
- They can both have different fillings, depending on the recipe.
- They are both popular dishes in many parts of the world.
Which one tastes better?
This is a matter of personal preference.
Some people prefer the taste of empanadas, while others prefer the taste of calzones.
It really depends on what you are looking for in a dish.
If you want something that is doughy and chewy, then you might prefer a calzone.
If you want something that is crunchy and filled with meat and vegetables, then you might prefer an empanada.
A simple recipe for making empanadas
To make empanadas, you can try this simple recipe:
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 cups of shredded cheese
- 1 package of empanada dough
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground beef over medium heat until it is browned.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, tomato paste, cumin, chili powder, and olive oil to the pan and stir well.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Stir in the shredded cheese.
- To assemble the empanadas, take a piece of dough and flatten it out with your hands.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the filling in the center of the dough.
- Fold the dough over the filling and crimp the edges with a fork to seal.
- Place the empanadas on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
A simple recipe for making calzones
Follow this recipe to make your own calzones at home:
- 1 pound of pizza dough
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 cup of pizza sauce
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, mix together the mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper.
- Roll the pizza dough out onto a floured surface.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the dough.
- Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the pizza sauce.
- Fold the dough over into a rectangle and cut it into 8 equal pieces.
- Place the calzones on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until they are golden brown.
Empanadas vs calzones – Conclusion
Empanadas and calzones are both delicious dishes that can be enjoyed in many parts of the world.
They have different origins, shapes, and main ingredients, but they share some similarities.
Ultimately, it’s up to you to decide which one you prefer.
Try both and see for yourself.