Dragon fruit is delicious and healthy food that can be found in many grocery stores.
However, there are different types that you may not know about. In this blog post, we will explore some of these types and what sets them apart from one another.
How many different types are there?
Dragon fruits are a type of fruit that is healthy and delicious. They come in different colors, but they will stay green until they are ripe.
There are three types that have a specific peel and pulp color, but there are also nine species so far.
The most well-known types start with the top three, but there are more out there to find out about!
This is the one with red skin and white flesh. It is the most common one. Some people say it has no flavor or that it has a very weak flavor. This can be true, but some people say that this type tastes good.
Dragon fruit is hard to find ripe. It is usually not ripe, so it doesn’t spoil during transport. But when people have their first bite, they might not like the taste because it’s not ripe.
This dragon fruit is white inside and yellow outside. The skin of this type is also much thornier than other types.
They are only found in Southeast Asia because they cannot grow anywhere else. If you are lucky, you can find a ripe fruit of this type that tastes better than all the others.
It’s hard to find if you’re not in Southeast Asia, but it might be worth the search because the taste is very good! You can ripen it on your counter like avocado, then store it in the fridge for 2-3 days if you keep it uncut.
Hylocereus costaricensis is just like its red color. The skin and the flesh are both red. The flesh looks unnatural with a deep red color that looks like blood. It is also called pitaya roja.
This fruit is somewhere between the white and yellow dragon fruit in sweetness and flavor
Other less-known varieties
There are other kinds, but not all of them are good for people to eat. The ones listed above are the most popular choices.
However, if you want to satisfy your curiosity, then here are a few more:
- Hylocereus triangularis
- Acanthocereus pitajaya
- Hylocereus polyrhizus
- Cereus ocamponis
- Cereus triangularis
- Hylocereus ocamponis
Dragon fruits are also called strawberry pears. They have red fruit that is just like a strawberry, but the seeds are black. It is called pitaya or pitajaya in some places.
The US Department of Agriculture says that no matter what type you grow, you will get plenty of nutrients and vitamins from eating it.
They are healthy. They also have lots of different flavors. So if you like something more than another flavor, try to grow more of it!
Which type is the best?
It would seem that the best flavor is the yellow-skinned one. This type is also called Selenicereus megalanthus. It looks like a pineapple, but it has no wings. Other types have green wings or tips, but this type does not.
Dragon fruits are good for you. They all have some nutritional value. Their levels of antioxidants vary though, so you need to know the different varieties before deciding which one is best for you.
It is good for your body. It can help to keep your blood sugar levels controlled. You can choose a type depending on how it helps your body, but if you want the best one, you should judge it by its color.
Red-flesh one has more antioxidants than white-flesh types. Antioxidants are good for your blood and eyes and also make your skin look better. White dragon fruit is sweeter but it is not as healthy.
Benefits of eating dragon fruit
- It can improve your cardiovascular health. The fruit has antioxidants and seeds that provide omega 3 and omega 6. These can help you to control cholesterol levels.
- It helps with digestion. They contain fibers that can prevent and treat constipation, as well as regulate bowel movements. Fibers are good for your health and keep you healthy!
- It has a lot of Vitamin C. This supports your immune system and helps you fight diseases.
- It is a type of fruit that has lots of fiber. People with diabetes can eat this fruit because it lowers blood sugar levels and helps keep them stable.
- To prevent cancer, eat dragon fruit because it boosts the immune system. Furthermore, it contains lycopene which is a powerful antioxidant that reduces cells that cause cancer. Studies show that extracts of the red-flesh type can be used to prevent and treat breast cancer.
- It has lots of antioxidants and vitamin C in it. These things make your skin healthy. If you eat it often, your skin is repaired. When the skin is repaired, it looks like when you were young again!
- It’s good for you because they provide iron which carries oxygen to your body. If you have enough oxygen, your muscles and brain will be able to work well.
- It helps with pain. It is made of compounds that kill the pain and make it go away. In your body, it can reduce inflammation and soreness. It also contains magnesium, which relaxes your nerves and muscles to help you sleep better. This means you’ll have a better quality of life!
There are many kinds. Each type has different benefits to your body. If you want to live a happier and healthier life, it is a good idea to add this fruit to your diet.