I am hungry, Mom. I’m craving something yummy. This scene happens in every home. Kids are picky, so they naturally prefer chips, pizza, burgers, and pasta.
It becomes a daunting task for moms to make them eat what is nutritious and will keep them full for a few hours. As a result, the mission is to make healthy options appealing. No matter how excellent your goals are, convincing your child that fruits are better than waffles and oats are better than noodles, nuts, and seeds over chocolates is a task that takes time to achieve.
Here are some healthy food recipes that are both nutritious and delicious that you can prepare for your children.
Make these yummy and healthy food recipes for your kids and let your kids enjoy them guilt-free
1. Almond Banana Smoothie
This breakfast smoothie is high in vitamins, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids and will keep your kids full until noon.
1 banana, chopped
6-8 almonds, soaked for 3-4 hours
1 cup milk
½ teaspoon flax seeds, soaked for 1 hour
- Peel the soaked almonds.
- Combine almonds, banana, dates, milk and flax seeds in a blender jar and blend till smooth.
- Add more milk if your kids prefer a thin smoothie.
- Replace almonds with cashews and walnuts. You can even add a combination of more than one variety of nuts.
- The addition of figs gives a different flavour.
- You may even add one teaspoon of cocoa powder for a chocolate-flavoured smoothie.
2. Spinach Corn Sandwich
Did I say sandwich for a healthy meal option? Yes, you heard it right – a healthy sandwich recipe with the goodness of spinach and corn.
To make the sandwich filling
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves, chopped
½ cup sweet corn kernels, boiled
1 cup spinach, finely chopped
1 teaspoon wheat flour
½ cup milk
1 teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon chilli flakes (adjust to taste)
salt to taste
For the Sandwich:
6 multigrain bread slices
- Heat oil in a pan and add garlic. For a minute, stir-fry the minced garlic.
- Add boiled corn and spinach leaves and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add wheat flour and cook for a minute or until the raw smell of the flour has gone away.
- Then add the milk and constantly stir to prevent lumps from forming. Continue to whisk until the sauce thickens, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add oregano, chilli flakes and salt. Mix and remove from flame.
- Spread the spinach-corn mixture on the bread and then top it with a second slice. You can grill using little olive oil or serve as it is.
- Make three sandwiches with this recipe.
3. Chocolate Rocks
Just 3-4 ingredients to make these indulgent chocolate rocks.
½ cup mixed nuts, roasted and chopped (almonds, cashews & walnuts)
1 cup chopped couverture milk chocolate
- To melt chocolate, take it in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for about 2 minutes (stop after every 30 seconds and stir). Suppose the chocolate does not soften; microwave for a few more seconds.
- Add chopped nuts and mix.
- Drop a spoonful of the chocolate-nut mixture onto a dish lined with parchment paper. Set aside for 20-25 minutes.
- The Chocolate Rocks are ready.
4. Fruit Skewers
Try these simple skewers to encourage your kids to consume fruit excitingly while providing them with fat, protein, and fibre.
Fruits of your choice – banana, strawberries, apples or any fruit
Melted chocolate, as required
Skewer up to three pieces of fresh fruit cubes on a toothpick or a popsicle stick, then freeze. Dip in melted chocolate and serve.
5. Fruit Yogurt
Yoghurt is an excellent healthy snack for kids. Add blended fruit puree to it to make it even more irresistible.
Fruits such as strawberries, apricots, bananas, and blueberries
Yoghurt, as required
Blend any of your favourite fruits into a puree. Add it to yoghurt and mix. You add a dash of honey for sweetness. Serve chilled.
6. Sweet Potato Fries
Now, who will no to fries? If you are looking for healthy food recipes, try this since the chips are high in antioxidants such as beta-carotene, vitamins, and fibre.
Sweet potatoes peeled
Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After cutting the sweet potatoes into pieces, toss them with the oil.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with the salt and pepper in a small bowl. Place them on a baking pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the bottom is brown and crisp, then turn and cook for another 10 minutes or until the other side is crispy. Serve immediately.
7. Yogurt Parfait
A great combination of yoghurt and granola. Present it excitingly so kids can’t say no to this yummy delicacy.
In a small mason container or bowl, layer all of the components. Serve right away.
8. Vegetable Rice
Healthy, tasty and a great way to use leftover rice. Keep the proportion of rice and veggies equal.
1 teaspoon oil
1 chilli, chopped
2 garlic, minced
½ cup cooked rice
½ cup chopped mixed vegetables (you can use carrots, corn, zucchini, bell peppers, or onions)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
salt to taste
- Heat oil and add chilli and garlic. Saute for a minute.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes after adding the chopped veggies.
- Then add rice, lemon juice and salt. Mix well.
- Serve hot.
9. Energy Balls
Just 2 ingredients and 5 minutes to make these delicious energy bites.
½ cup mixed nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews)
- Add nuts and blend to a fine powder in a food processor or blender. Add dates to it and mix again.
- Make balls out of the mixture.
10. Apple Peanut Butter Sandwiches
Just 2 minutes to make these sandwiches, a great source of brain-building energy.
- Make thick slices from apples. Remove the centre part.
- Spread peanut butter over one slice and cover it with another. Serve immediately.
When it comes to Healthy Food Recipes, we often think that they can’t be delicious. But now you don’t need to worry about the nutrition and taste. Try these yummy recipes, and I am sure kids will love them.